Home comforts? Not so much

I travelled alone for this one. We landed back in Newcastle late last night and I was sick on the plane. I didn’t get much sleep but managed to pass a late fitness test and caught the train in plenty of time.

I started the afternoon as I do most home games, in the Brewers Arms (or the Battery to the locals) where I had arranged to meet friends from Windsor.

Brewers Arms

After a quick catch up, I headed down the road to the Curfew before heading towards the ground.

The Curfew

I got to the ground in plenty of time and had a couple before making my way towards a very blustery Ducket. I expected a difficult game, Civil Service Strollers had beaten reigning champions East Kilbride midweek and were the only team to take a point off Bonnyrigg so far this season. However, I was feeling quite optimistic on account of us winning three games in a row.

I was suprised to see all three strikers starting (Rose, Healy and Yaw) and Chalmers had moved into the back three with Waugh moving out wide. Sean Brennan was back in goal after his holiday too.

We started well and just after 15 mins we took the lead through Lewis Barr. Ricky Miller spread the ball out wide to Kevin Waugh who put the ball across the face of the goal and Barr was on hand to tap the ball home. As I’ve mentioned before I’m a big fan of Barr. Personally, I prefer him playing in a more advanced role but he is equally effective running from deep.

Our lead was only to last two minutes. The ball was played forward from the rght wing and there was miscommunication at the back between Miller, Chalmers and Brennan. Cunningham got to the ball before Brennan and tapped it past him before finding the empty net. It was very similar to the goal that Spartans conceded at Shielfield at the same end the other week.

Following this, Barr drew a good save from the goalkeeper and had a left foot volley which went just wide of the post. There was little between the two sides going into the break. I felt as though the game was there for the taking and we should have been going on to take all three points.

The second half was a completely different story. We didn’t get going and deservedly went on to lose 3-1. Muirhead got a second for CSS after 67 mins after a good move. He got a second of his own on 74 mins when we were caught on the break pushing men forward for an equaliser. Ricky Miller had earlier had a long range effort flash over the bar and, following the third goal, saw a header from a corner saved at close range.

The winning run therefore came to an end. We hadn’t won 4 games in a row since 2012/13. We move onto Gala away on Saturday, a game I am very much looking forward to. It was one of the first fixtures I looked for when they were announced. Here’s hoping we can keep up with our 100 percent away win league record (1 played, 1 won).